National Gallery of Art Sculpture Reproductions
Financier and art collector Andrew W. Mellon began collecting artwork during the 1920s. His intention was to create an art gallery for Washington D.C. With his death in 1937 his collection was left to the Nation and The A.W. Mellon Educational and Charitable Trust provided the funds for the construction of the West Building, which was completed in 1941. The gallery’s collection has expanded with generous donations from other notable collectors. The East building was opened in 1978 with funds provided by Paul Mellon, Ailsa Mellon Bruce and by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation. The Gallery’s collection includes European and American painting, sculpture, decorative art and graphic works.